Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Womannish Water

No. I'm not talking about perfume or even bath water.

"Mannish water" is a traditional Jamaican soup. The recipe varies, but usually consists of potatoes, yam, chocho (a.k.a. chayote or christophine), carrots, thyme, scallion, garlic, white rum, the ubiquitous scotch bonnet pepper (which makes a jalapeno taste like a bell pepper), and goat's head.

Yes, goat's head.

It is a man's aphrodisiac, hence the name, mannish water.

I can't say that I'm always thinking about Jamaican aphrodisiacs, but I was talking with a friend the other night about this and it got me to thinking...what would womannish water be like? Like Alice Walker's erstwhile definition of "womanist," womannish water would embody the adult and serious aspects of womanhood. So, I offer a recipe:

white rum
dark rum
citrus rum
coconut rum
peach schnapps
fruit punch
ginger ale

*chocolate on the side, as a garnish

I am not arguing that a sexy, empowered woman is an inebriated woman. Indeed, I think that whatever womannish water is, it should not simply help bring out one's inner vixen, but fortify a woman for the (un)expected trials of the day. Though perhaps she should not operate heavy machinery.

8 comments:

David said...

So, here I am at work reading this blog and wondering why exactly the "mannish water" has so much food in it, verus the liquid nature of "womanish water". You could look back through socialogical mind frames and try to put a spin on it that men once needed for substance to get them through the day since they were out "laboring". However, then you look at the fact that women were at home way back when mostly raising children and doing housework. So why is it that a modern day woman's "water" would differ so much from a mans? Or is this simply a comedic backing to having Sex and the City on the mind?

sin nombre said...

I am glad you mentioned the peach.

Just My Thoughts said...

This is to much to handle at work. I need a drink! But I love the way you put the things in that a woman loves and calles it our own.

David said...

Hmm, perhaps I approached it wrong . . . GET IT GIRLS!

Just My Thoughts said...

Now we are all on the same page. I am profound that you can relate!!!!

afrodisia said...

How could I forget the peach? It does lend a particular flavor.

afrodisia said...

David, glad you're on board :)

I'll talk to you about your construction of gendered notions of the public and private sphere later.

RootsInTheCity said...

I think we should gather the aforementioned ingredients and bring them to NOLA with us. We're going to need some Wommanish Water!