Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's Like a Train Wreck

I know I shouldn't spend any more time on Gov. Palin (although she wracks my nightmares--every morning I wake up in a cold sweat with visions of her overturning Roe v. Wade as she chews on a mooseburger while shooting at wolves from a helicopter), but let me throw in two (more) cents.

If progressives are going to really critique her (and there is so much to critique), we have to do so on valid grounds. The fact that she has five children, the youngest of whom has special needs, is NOT a legitimate critique. While McCain was going from port to port, the Lord only knows who he has spawned. Even our own dear Senator Obama has two young daughters that deserve active parenting from him and Michelle, and I haven't heard a thing about him being a bad dad. So let's not get all sexist and imply (or outright say) that Palin is incompetent because she's got a gaggle of children. And as tempting as it is to point out that abstinence-only education did not work in her family, that poor Bristol Palin has enough to deal with.

The fact of the matter is that Palin is so wretchedly incompetent and such a reprehensible and shockingly immoral choice, we don't have to mention anything about her motherhood, pit bull in a skirt status (makes me wonder if she has paw prints tatted on her chest--sorry Eve), or religious extremism (okay, we probably should consider that). Let me cite the short list of concerns.

1. Her level and caliber of "experience" makes Barack Obama look like he's been in the senate since Jesus was in high school.
2. She has a horrendous record on LGBT rights. Now, Obama is not a LGBT savior, but he ain't the devil either. She, quite possibly, however...
3. She shoots wolves from helicopters. That's just barbaric.
4. She describes herself as a pit bull and yet she is not a rapper from Philly
5. She doesn't know what a community organizer is. (Check out illdoctrine's take on her janky RNC speech, aka the Republican Hater's Ball)
6. She doesn't believe in global warming. Like I tell my students, whether or not you believe in something or like something (for example, the mid-term that will occur) does not stop that thing from existing and happening frequently.

Shall I continue? I feel like electing McCain is just asking for President Sarah Palin. I'm all for a woman in the White House, but not just any old body they pull in off the street. She is no Hillary Clinton.

2 comments:

David said...

Ok . . . so where even to start?! First of all, WHAT THE HELL!!!! Palin is just . . . I don't know . . . CRAZY?! She shoots wolves from a helicopter! How is that moral? That isn't even fair sportsmanship. At least give the animals a chance to beat you in the game. I mean if we heard of a lion in Africa getting in a helicopter and then pouncing on a person we'd have Raptors in the air in a second trying to figure out how the Iranians genetically engineered a lion and the subsequent National Security threat.

To start out on a more serious note, I think all involved can say that this campaign has been ridiculous all along and both parties have their reasons to be a tad bit ashamed (although I think the Republicans stand to take a bit more heat, can we just disban them?). We focus on Obama's every move, which I don't mind. The Republicans bring out everything they can think of about his lack of experience. THEN!!!! They go and do the same damn thing. Suddenly, they try to go ahead and take the "Change" theme after proving themselves NOTHING BUT HYPOCRITICAL!

Leaving it separate from that, noone knows about this chick. I mean she came from nowhere. No disrespect to Alaska, but REALLY?? I mean a governor of a state that has fewer people than most large cities? At least Obama represents the will of millions of Americans with his position in the Senate and has had MUCH more experience to foreign affairs simply by being in the Senate and absorbing what's going on around him.

Also, who really thinks that McCain is going to survive his first term, god forbid a second! So now we have this lady who has only asked for money from the federal government who is potentially going to be in charge of the richest (and ironically broke) and most powerful country in the world. How does that make this all ok?

I just don't understand what the hell they were thinking! And now it seems all of our obsessing over his choice has only helped their cause, when all we're really trying to do is find something wrong with her.

And perhaps that is our problem, instead of trying to tear her apart and find dirt . . . ask her a real question, god knows the press isn't allowed, and see what happens there! I really can't wait to see how she does on the debate with Senator Biden.

Just My Thoughts said...

I totally agree with the writer and the commenter. This Palin lady just came out of nowhere. I just don’t get it. Who does she really think she is? My question is can she sit down and have a conversation with the Presidents or Prime Ministers of the different countries? Can she keep our enemies closer than our friends (which we have no friends not that Bush has screwed everything up.) But you must ask yourself. Can she run this country if something ungodly happens to Sen. McCain. You can talk the talk but can you walk the walk. Running a state with fewer people in it than the city Wichita, Kansas is easy but running an entire country I wouldn’t know what to say about that. Well I do “Maybe I should run for President of the United States in 2012”